Avoid session ID leakages
The system must not expose session IDs in URLs and messages presented to the user.
Session IDs are sensitive information that may allow an attacker to steal, modify and/or destroy information once they obtain one. Information sent via URL parameters is:
- Stored in clear text in the browser history.
- Sent to external sites via the referrer HTTP header.
- Sent to external sites via the search bar if the browser interprets the URL as a query.
- Visible to scripts running on the browser that may belong to third-parties. Therefore, session IDs should not be sent via URL parameters, nor be displayed as messages presented to the user, nor stored in logs.
This requirement is verified in following services:
- CWE™-200. Exposure of sensitive information to an unauthorized actor
- OWASP TOP 10-A2. Cryptographic failures
- OWASP TOP 10-A3. Injection
- OWASP-M TOP 10-M2. Insecure data storage
- NIST Framework-PR_DS-5. Protections against data leaks are implemented
- CERT-J-IDS14-J. Do not trust the contents of hidden form fields
- PA-DSS-5_2_10. Broken authentication and session management
- HITRUST CSF-09_v. Electronic messaging
- WASSEC-6_2_2_2. Authorization - Insufficient authorization
- NIST SSDF-PW_1_1. Design software to meet security requirements and mitigate security risks
- ISSAF-T_14_1. Web application assessment - URL manipulation
- PTES-7_4_4_2. Post Exploitation - Pillaging (user information on web browsers)
- OWASP SCP-3. Authentication and password management
- OWASP MASVS-V6_2. Platform interaction requirements
- CWE™-6. Misconfiguration - Insufficient session-ID length
- OWASP API Security Top 10-API3. Excessive Data Exposure
- 017. Sensitive information sent insecurely
- 030. Sensitive information sent via URL parameters
- 276. Sensitive information sent via URL parameters - Session
Search for vulnerabilities in your apps for free with our automated security testing! Start your 21-day free trial and discover the benefits of our Continuous Hacking Machine Plan. If you prefer a full service that includes the expertise of our ethical hackers, don't hesitate to contact us for our Continuous Hacking Squad Plan.