The system must force the change of automatically generated temporary passwords after their first use.
Temporary passwords are often harder to remember and shared over systems whose future integrity may not be guaranteed by the system that created them. Therefore, users should be forced to change them after their first use.
This requirement is verified in following services:
- NIST 800-63B-6_1_1. Binding at enrollment
- MITRE ATT&CK®-M1027. Password policies
- CMMC-IA_L2-3_5_9. Temporary passwords
- HITRUST CSF-01_d. User password management
- ISA/IEC 62443-IAC-1_7. Strength of password-based authentication
- OWASP MASVS-V4_5. Authentication and session management requirements - Password policy
- NIST 800-171-5_9. Allow temporary password use for system logons with an immediate change to a permanent password
- SIG Core-H_3_1_8. Access control
- SIG Core-U_1_9_13. Server security