The system should use typified exceptions instead of generic exceptions.
Catching generic exceptions obscures the problem that caused the error and promotes a generic way to handle different categories or sources of error. This may cause security vulnerabilities to materialize, as some special flows go unnoticed.
This requirement is verified in following services
- CWE™-396. Declaration of catch for generic exception
- CWE™-397. Declaration of throws for generic exception
- CERT-J-ERR01-J. Do not allow exceptions to expose sensitive information
- CMMC-SC_L2-3_13_6. Network communication by exception
- ISSAF-U_15. Web application SQL injections – Countermeasures
- OWASP MASVS-V7_6. Code quality and build setting requirements
- CWE TOP 25-476. NULL pointer dereference
- OWASP ASVS-4_1_5. General access control design
- CASA-4_1_5. General Access Control Design
Search for vulnerabilities in your apps for free with our automated security testing! Start your 21-day free trial and discover the benefits of our Continuous Hacking Machine Plan. If you prefer a full service that includes the expertise of our ethical hackers, don't hesitate to contact us for our Continuous Hacking Squad Plan.