All variables in the source code should have an associated type.
The data type of a variable defines the kind of data it can hold, such as integers, floating-point numbers, characters, strings, or custom data structures. Explicit typing contributes to type safety, ensuring that operations on variables are performed with appropriate types. This can help to properly catch potential errors.
This requirement is verified in following services
- CWE™-710. Improper adherence to coding standards
- CWE™-1419. Incorrect Initialization of Resource
- Agile Alliance-9. Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design
- SANS 25-12. NULL pointer dereference
- ISO/IEC 27002-8_28. Secure coding
- SIG Lite-SL_89. Is there a formal Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process?
- SIG Core-I_2_1. Application security
- ISO/IEC 27001-8_28. Secure coding
- CWE TOP 25-476. NULL pointer dereference
Search for vulnerabilities in your apps for free with our automated security testing! Start your 21-day free trial and discover the benefits of our Continuous Hacking Machine Plan. If you prefer a full service that includes the expertise of our ethical hackers, don't hesitate to contact us for our Continuous Hacking Squad Plan.