The main reasons why we chose it over other alternatives are:
- It allows us to execute tasks without having to design any infrastructure.
- It complies with several certifications from ISO and CSA. Many of these certifications are focused on granting that the entity follows best practices regarding secure cloud-based environments and information security.
- It supports many different runtimes, allowing to run code for programming languages like Python, Ruby, Go, among others.
- It supports lambda scheduling, allowing to run lambdas on a scheduled basis. This is specially useful for tasks like CI workers cleaning.
- It integrates with other AWS services, allowing to easily manage EC2 instances or sending emails via SQS.
- Resources can be written as code using Terraform.
- Lambda logs and performance can be monitored using CloudWatch.
- Cloudflare Workers: We use them for setting up security headers with Cloudflare. They do not easily connect with other AWS services.
- Google Functions: They do not easily connect with other AWS services.
- Azure Functions: They do not easily connect with other AWS services.
We use Lambda for: